Dr. Abir De Sarkar
Associate Professor (Scientist E)
- 2000-2004: Ph.D. in Physics (Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP), Kolkata, India)
- GATE-2000 (97.84 percentile, All India Rank - 34), NET-CSIR Qualified
- 1999-2000: Post M.Sc. in Physics (Course work prior to Ph.D.), SINP, Kolkata, India
- 1997-1999: M.Sc. in Physics (Calcutta University, India) (First Class First: Rank 1)
(Recipient of President of India, Medal for the year 2000 for having topped all the postgraduate disciplines in the Calcutta University, Kolkata, India.)
- 1994-1997: B.Sc. (Hons) in Physics (First class), St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata, Calcutta University, India
(Awarded National Scholarship based on the results)
- 1992-1994: Completed Higher Secondary (10+2), (Rank 75, Awarded National Scholarship)
- 2000-2004: Completed Ph.D. in Physics in April, 2004 from the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (DAE Institute), Kolkata with DAE Fellowship
- May, 2004 - April, 2005: Max Planck Postdoctoral Fellow at the Fritz Haber Institute of the Max-Planck Society, Berlin, Germany
- May, 2005 - May, 2010: served as a Research Scientist & Engineer on a A*STAR Visiting Investigator Program (VIP) between CEMES-CNRS, Toulouse, France and A*STAR, Singapore at the Institute of Materials Research and Engineering (IMRE-A*STAR), Singapore
- June, 2010 - June,2011: Senior Research Associate at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, City University of Hong Kong
- August, 2011 - April, 2013: Wenner-Gren Researcher/Forskare at KTH (Royal Institute of Technology), Stockholm, Sweden & Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
- April, 2013 - March, 2014: Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Central University of Rajasthan, Tehsil: Kishangarh, Dist. Ajmer, India
- March, 2014 onwards: Associate Professor (Scientist E) at the Institute of Nanoscience and Technology (INST), (An autonomous Institute of the Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India), Habitat Centre, Phase-X, Sector-64, Mohali-160 062, Punjab, India
Computational Nanoscience: Nanomaterials for energy, Gas sensors, Band gap engineering in nanomaterials
Methods: First principles (ab initio) based approaches, Ab initio transport calculations, Quantum Chemistry, Monte Carlo simulation.
Click here for a complete Publication List.
- Seema Gautam, Abir De Sarkar*, "A systematic investigation on acetylene activation and hydracyanation of the activated acetylene on Au_n (n=3-10) clusters via density functional theory", Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 18 (2016) 13830-13843
- K.-P. Dou, X.-X. Fu, Abir De Sarkar, R.-Q. Zhang, "Dual response of graphene based ultrasmall molecular junction to defect engineering, Nanoresearch", 9 (2016) 1480–1488
- K.P. Dou, X.-X. Fu, Abir De Sarkar, R.Q. Zhang, "Tailoring the transmission lineshape spectrum of zigzag graphene nanoribbon based heterojunctions via controlling their width and edge protrusions", Nanoscale, 7 (2015) 20003-20008.
- J. Nisar*, Z. Topalian, A. De Sarkar*, L. Osterlund, R. Ahuja, "TiO2 based gas sensor: a possible application to SO2", ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 5, 8516–8522 (2013) (Impact factor: 5.008)
- T. Hussain*, A. De Sarkar*, R. Ahuja, "Functionalization of hydrogenated graphene by polylithiated species for efficient hydrogen storage", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 39, 2560-2566, 2014 (Impact factor: 4.086)
- Y. Li, A. De Sarkar*, B. Pathak, R. Ahuja, "Strain-induced stabilization of Al functionalization in graphene oxide nanosheet for enhanced NH3 storage", Applied Physics Letters 102, 243905 (2013) (5 pages) (Impact factor: 3.817) It has been identified as a Key Scientific Article and featured in Advances in Engineering, Canada.
- Z. Qian*, A. De Sarkar*, T. A. Maark, X. Jiang, M. Deshpande, M. Bououdina, R. Ahuja, “Pure and Li-doped NiTiH: potential anode materials for Li-ion rechargeable batteries”, Applied Physics Letters 103, 033902 (2013) (Impact factor: 3.817)
- Tanveer Hussain*, Abir De Sarkar*, Rajeev Ahuja, “Strain induced Li functionalized graphane as a high capacity hydrogen storage material”, Applied Physics Letters 101, 103907 (5 pages), 2012 (Impact factor: 3.817)
- K. P. Dou, Abir De Sarkar, C. L. Wang, R. Q. Zhang, “Intramolecular Torsion Based Molecular Switch Functionality Enhanced in π-Conjugated Oligomolecules by a π-Conjugated Pendant Group”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 115, 13911- 13918, 2011 (Impact factor: 4.814)
- Chao Zhang, Abir De Sarkar, Rui-Qin Zhang, “Strain induced band dispersion engineering in silicon nanosheet”, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115, 23682, 2011 (Impact factor: 4.814)
- W.-H. Soe, C. Manzano, N. Renaud, P. de Mendoza, A. De Sarkar, F. Ample, M. Hliwa, A. M. Echavarren, N. Chandrasekhar and C. Joachim, “Manipulating Molecular Quantum States with Classical Metal Atom Inputs: Demonstration of a Single Molecule NOR Logic Gate”, American Chemical Society (ACS) NANO, 5, 1436-1440, 2011. (Impact factor: 12.06)
- W.-H. Soe, C. Manzano, A. De Sarkar, N. Chandrasekhar and C. Joachim, "Direct Observation of Molecular Orbitals of Pentacene Physisorbed on Au(111) by Scanning Tunneling Microscope", Physical Review Letters, 102, 176102-176104, 2009. (Impact factor: 7.435)
- W.-H. Soe, C. Manzano, A. De Sarkar, F. Ample, N. Chandrasekhar, N. Renaud, P. de Mendoza, A. M. Echavarren, M. Hliwa and C. Joachim, “A NOR logic gate using a single molecule and two surface gold atoms to encode the logical input”, Physical Review B, 83, 155443-1 to 155443-8 (2011). (Impact factor: 3.767)
- Abir De Sarkar, Francisco Ample and Christian Joachim, "The electronic transparency of a single CO molecule at contact", Chemical Physics Letters, 484, 237 – 241, 2010.
- Adam Kiejna, Georg Kresse, Jutta Rogal, Abir De Sarkar, Karsten Reuter, and Matthias Scheffler, "Comparison of the full-potential and frozen-core approximation approaches to density-functional calculations of surfaces," Physical Review B, 73, 035404-1 to 035404-8, 2006. (Impact factor: 3.767)
- Abir De Sarkar and Badal C. Khanra, "CO oxidation and NO reduction over supported Pt-Rh and Pd-Rh nanocatalysts : A comparative study", Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, 229, 25 – 29, 2005. (Impact factor 3.319)
- Abir De Sarkar and Badal C. Khanra, "Microkinetic model studies of impurity effects on CO+O2, CO+NO and CO+NO+O2 reactions on supported Pt-Rhnanocatalysts", Chemical Physics Letters, 384, 339 – 343, 2004.
- Abir De Sarkar and Badal C. Khanra, "Influence of sulphur on the shell composition of Pt-Rh nanocatalysts : a theoretical model", Chemical Physics Letters, 353, 426 – 430, 2002.
(1) Book Chapters
(i) (Chapter 1), ISBN: 978-953-307-152-7
R.Q. Zhang and Abir De Sarkar (2011). Theoretical Studies on Formation, Property Tuning and Adsorption of Graphene Segments, Physics and Applications of Graphene - Theory, Sergey Mikhailov (Ed.), InTech
(ii) (Chapter 3), Print ISBN 978-94-007-4947-4, Online ISBN 978-94-007-4948-1
R.-Q. Zhang and Abir De Sarkar (2012), Modeling Silicon Nanostructure Surface Functionalization for Biological Detections, in: J. Zeng, R.-Q. Zhang, H.R. Treutlein (Eds.) Quantum Simulations of Materials and Biological Systems, Springer Netherlands, 2012, pp. 33-51.
Institute of Nano Science & Technology
Habitat Centre, Phase X, Sector - 64, Mohali, Punjab-160062, India
Tel: 0172 - 2210075 (Ext. 111)
Email Id : abir(at)inst(dot)ac(dot)in, email@example.com